“We’re going to have this wonderful thing on the 24th of this month… when we all gather round one fire… it’s a fantastic thing, a very simple idea. Irrespective of your politics, of your culture, of your race, of your whatever, hierdie ding doen ons saam (this thing we do together)… just South Africans doing one thing together, and recognising that we are a fantastic nation”. - Tutu
Happy Heritage Day!
So put on your favourite Heritage Day outfit and braai (BBQ) up a storm today with those close to you.
We've curated the best South African Heritage videos to get you ready for the weekend celebrations. From making Vetkoek like SuzelleDIY and Willyballs; to singing like the Kiffness.
1. How to make Vetkoek like a South African
- 1 kg flour
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1 pkt Instant Yeast
- 4 cups warm water
- Pinch of Salt
- Add your instant yeast, a pinch of your sugar and about half of your warm water into a large mixing bowl.
- Give it a swirl and wait 5 minutes. Pop in the flour, sugar, salt and oil, and give it a mix while you add the water little bit by little bit.
- Knead the dough to form a ball and cover it with a dish cloth. Leave it to rise for 45 minutes.
- Once the dough has risen, roll the dough into little balls. To fry the vetkoek, you will you need about 4cm of oil, remember to do the oil test with a small piece of dough to make sure it's ready!
- Pop in the dough, and carefully flip when it turns a golden brown colour
2. Are you proud to be a South African ?