There is nothing like having homemade rusks dipped into a hot cup of tea. The "How to make rooibos rusks" recipe was inspired by bringing two South African icons Evita Bezuidenhout and Suzelle and two South African flavours rooibos and rusks together.
Below are the steps to making rooibos rusks and a special video to watch at the end :)
Rooibos Rusk Recipe
- 1kg self-raising cake flour
- 1 tsp bicarb
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 500g butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 Rooibos tea bags
1. Infuse the rooibos teabags with the milk until it bubbles:) and bring it to a boil.
Keep the mixture on medium heat for 10 minutes and let the rooibos infuse into the milk. Make sure that the mixture does not burn, so keep checking.
2. Take the milk off the stove and allow the rooibos milk mixture to cool.
3. Mix the dry ingredients.
5. Beat the two eggs together.
4. Take out the tea bags.
5. Add 3 tablespoons of lemon to create the buttermilk.
6. Melt the butter and allow to cool.
7. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
8. Mix the ingredients until you get a nice smooth dough.
9. Place the dough into a baking tray.
10. Bake in the oven for about 40-50 minutes until nice and golden at 170 degrees Celsius.
11. Cut the rusks while it is still nice and warm.
12. Cut the rusks and place in a baking pan at 100 degrees Celsius for approximately 4 hours.
13. Enjoy your homemade rusks with a cup of tea or coffee.
Explore our range Of Ouma Rusks :)