When that cool weather begins to set in the nostalgia of food and home comes to mind. There is no better way to feel at home than with some delicious hearty and warm comfort food like koeksisters, mince curry, malva pudding and all the slow cooked suppers that we crave for such as Samp and Beans.
Samp and Beans is one of South Africa's favourite staple foods, and it comes as no surprise that it was Nelson Mandela's favourite too:).
Today we will be sharing a delicious Samp and Beans recipe, that is in no way traditional but has the same hearty feel. Enjoy!
Step 1: Add 500g of Samp and Beans to a bowl and soak in water overnight
Step 2 : Add 1.5 Litres of water, add some spur seasoning salt and cook for 45 minutes
Step 3: Heat oil in a saucepan and sauté onion until soft.
Step 4: Add garlic and curry powder and fry for 2 minutes.
Step 5: Add tomatoes, Spur Peri-Peri Sauce, Spur BBQ Sauce, water and potatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes until potatoes are cooked and slightly soft.
Step 5: Stir in the butter and season with more salt, if preferred. Serve warm.
- 500g packet samp and beans
- 50g black-eyed peas (optional)
- Spur salt seasoning to taste
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) water
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) cooking oil
- 1 medium onion
- Coarsely chopped 2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- 10 ml (2 tsp) medium curry powder
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 100 ml Spur Peri-Peri Sauce
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) Spur BBQ Sauce
- 200 ml (¾ cup) water or
- Vegetable stock
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 50 g butter (optional)